Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stromberg vent fuel leak  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-08-2024 04:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dlg

I've read all the existing posts regarding fuel leaks from the vent hole on the face of the Stromberg carbs but mine is still a mystery. I can start the car and run it for some time at idle, but after reving up to about 3k rpm and allowing to quickly return to idle the front carb occasionally gushes fuel from the vent hole at 10 o-clock on the face of the carb (and then the car sputters and dies, while I'm leaping for the ignition to shut it off). I've taken the carbs off the car twice now to check the float height (fine) and the Grosse valves (TR6 from Moss, clean and apparently working). I would assume that the increased flow of fuel at the higher rpm has something to do with it and maybe the ball valve is not fully closing as the fuel is rushing in to keep the bowl filled. I immediately shut the engine off to avoid a bad situation getting worse, clean it up and then once again turn on the ignition to start the fuel pump and no leak and after waiting a bit I can start the car again and it will idle fine with no leaks. Just FYI -- I have the standard ticking SU fuel pump (purchased thru the club store years ago) and a recently Renu'd fuel tank and fresh fuel filters. Any ideas?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-12-2024 02:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
vnavaret

dlg wrote: I've taken the carbs off the car twice now to check the float height (fine) and the Grosse valves (TR6 from Moss, clean and apparently working). Any ideas?
The problem is the Grosse valves. They are very prone to sticking, and in my opinion are unacceptable. I used them on my TR6, which led to leaking, dripping, and stained paint. I replaced them with the (more expensive) OEM needle valves, and the problem was solved.

An interesting design that is much too sensitive to contaminents that cause sticking.

You could try changing out your fuel filter, but the odds of success are low. The Grosse valves do not have the wiping action of a needle valve that clears contaminents from the valve seat, and lack the fine mesh filters of the OEM valves that keeps the larger filth away from the valve entirely.

Vance

Last edited on 05-12-2024 02:34 am by vnavaret

Posted: 05-12-2024 01:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

dig,

Grosse jets are a controversial subject like the Strombergs themselves some people love them some absolutely hate them. I've had Grosse jets in two Stromberg cars and one SU car for decades and I've yet to have a problem with any of them but the gas tanks are clean and I have an aftermarket fuel filter them between the pump and the carbs on all of them. Based on that performance I would not hesitate to use them again.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether to stay with the Grosse or go OEM.

Posted: 05-12-2024 02:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
dlg

Thanks for the replies folks. Given that I had no problems with the original style needle valves I think I will try replacing the grosse valves and see if that helps. One last question before I do that (or most likely while waiting for the new valves to be shipped), is it possible that I may have made the grosse valves faulty by using BOTH the fiber and aluminum washers when I installed them? Odd thing is they don’t leak until the fuel flow rate is increased by raising the rpm’s and returning to idle so they aren’t leaking generally. Anyway, thx again and I’ll post the results when this has been resolved in case it helps anyone else.

Posted: 05-13-2024 01:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

dig,

It's been a long time since I installed one so I'm a bit foggy and since Ive never had a problem with one it's hard for me to say. So let's talk about yours. Did you install them or did you get the car that way? If you installed them did the old valves have two washers? Is two washers what the Grosse directions called for? And has the car always had this problem since the Grosse jets were installed?

Posted: 05-13-2024 10:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
dlg

noomg -
It may be coincidental but this problem has existed since I installed the Grosse valves (I've had the car since 1980 and the Grosse valves are a recent change from the last carb overhaul). I've read other posts that indicate that maybe only the fiber washer is to be used, but given that they don't normally leak (i.e., when starting/idling) and both carbs had both fiber and metal washers installed it's likely not the problem (rear carb does not have any issues). The old needle valves (oem type) had only the metal washers. I'm going to switch back as soon as I can get the old-style valves -- have to take the carbs off again anyway so that seems the best next step. IF I have the same vent leak after installing the oem style needle valves then I'm going to need a new theory!

Posted: 05-14-2024 12:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jh092

dig,
You said you were running a standard ticking SU fuel pump. Have you checked that you are delivering fuel at 2.5psi? Any more than that and you can overdrive the jets.

Posted: 05-14-2024 01:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
noomg

dig,

Sounds like you've pinpointed the problem which started when you installed the Grosse jets. The next logical step would seem to be replacing them with OEM units. You won't be losing anything there's no performance between the two and probably most guys with Zeniths are still running with the OEM units.

While I like Grosse jets I wouldn't hesitate to replace them if that solved a problem.

Posted: 05-15-2024 03:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
vnavaret

I believe that whether or not you are a fan of the Grosse Jet valves, depends on the state of your fuel system in general, your experiences with them, and perhaps your luck with fuel purchases.

Having experienced a sticking Grosse Jet valve personally, I can say that they can and do stick. Whether or not your particular installation has issues depends on the cleanliness of your fuel system, your fuel filter, and perhaps the manufacturing tolerances of your particular valves. Contaminated fuel may have something to do with it, depending on the specs on your fuel filter too. Finer filtration may be key in keeping them working well.

If you have not experienced sticking, then the Grosse Jets are a screaming deal, and of course you will have positive feelings about them. If you had issues, then they are from the devil himself.

The old joke "What is the definition of a conservative? A liberal who has been mugged." has some bearing here. You love Grosse Jets until they take a dump, then you hate them. That describes my experience precisely.

Vance

Posted: 05-16-2024 09:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
dlg

jh092 -
Checked the fuel pump pressure after the final fuel filter just before the carb T fitting and it measures just under 3 psi (with my el cheapo dual purpose fuel pressure / vacuum tester). This doesn't seem too excessive if 2.5 is the target, but comments welcomed.

Still waiting for the new needle valves and will let y'all know what happens when I get them installed. Thanks again for all the input!

Posted: 05-17-2024 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Tom Bradley

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I also tried Grosse jets and had problems. They sounded like a superior design, but did not work well for me. Switching back to the standard inlets worked better.

Whichever you use, do not mix the two types of washers, they have different strengths, so the pressure to get a good seal with the metal washers will tend to crush the other ones.

Do you have the nitril floats? The original ones are not rated for gasohol.

Also check that the air valve drops smoothly and bottoms out with a click when lifted all the way up and released. If it hangs up somewhere that could be the cause of what you are seeing.

Posted: 05-17-2024 04:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Tom Bradley

Last edited on 05-17-2024 04:21 am by Tom Bradley

Posted: 05-20-2024 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
dlg

All -
Got the new OEM style needle valves put in and the carbs installed (again) and as of this writing no more leaks. Still have some work to do to balance the carbs (my uni-syn no longer works for some reason) but it seems to be running pretty well. I guess in my case either I had a bad set of Grosse jets or maybe at my SU fuel pump pressure (high normal at about 3 psi) they just stuck open occasionally. Regardless, on to the next project! Thanks to everyone for the help!

Posted: 05-21-2024 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
noomg

I'm just wondering now if something's changed at Grosse Jets. Of late (talking last 10 years) I've heard fairly regular complaints about them and not just this site also TR7, MGB, Spitfire among others. Makes me wonder if production has been farmed out, suspect at the top of the list would be China.

I've always recommended them because I've never had a problem with them. I had a sticky OEM jet in my Austin-Healey and installed Grosse Jets in about 1988 and never had a problem. Installed them in my TR7 around 1992 ditto. My Jensen-Healey around 1995. Since my last problem free install was thirty years ago I've had no problem recommending them. However now I may have to put a caveat on that, at least until more is known.

Posted: 05-26-2024 07:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Tom Bradley

Uni-Syns don't work all that well, anyhow. They put too much load on the carb being measured so you have to be quick. These guys work better:
https://www.amazon.com/Carburettor-Carb-Balancer-Dellorto-Weber/dp/B0C33ZSXFS

You can also do a decent balance by listening to the intake of the carbs with a tube. I did this for years. It is somewhat cumbersome and takes some practice, but works pretty well.

Last edited on 05-26-2024 07:23 pm by Tom Bradley

Posted: 05-26-2024 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
noomg

Tom,

The Uni-Syn has always worked well for me and my carbs have to be balanced to the gnats ass since I live in CA and if they're not precisely balanced it won't pass the smog test. If you're not getting enough air flow during the balancing process you simply screw the Uni-Syn open to allow more air flow.

Current time is 11:43 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Stromberg vent fuel leak Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems