Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Why a 2-pc drive line on a 5-speed?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Why a 2-pc drive line on a 5-speed?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-28-2024 12:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jh092

The center support bearing on my drive line is shot and needs to be replaced. A common fix is to replace the original with a 1-piece drive shaft similar to the one used on the 4-speed gearbox. This seems like a logical fix since it worked on the 4-speed.

What was the reasoning to use the 2-piece unit on the 5-speed? There were no performance upgrades to the engine with 5-speed. There was a cost to use the 2-piece unit and the decision to use it would have to have fulfilled a requirement.

My car has been stroked out to 2.2l. I am wondering if the 2-piece shaft is a better candidate to handle the extra engine torque and power.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-28-2024 06:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

Jh092,

Keep in mind that reaching into the LBC parts bins the two piece may have been chosen because it fit rather than to fill a specific need. Delta sells a one piece for the 5sp it's probably an aftermarket unit built by a local driveshaft shop with parts supplied by Delta so I'd say there's no problem using a one piece. You can buy one from delta or just take your 2-piece to a local D/S shop and have them build you one.

Posted: 07-28-2024 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jh092

I don’t think that is the case. They already had a drive line that would have to be ordered either longer or shorter to meet the need and the cost differential would be minimal. But, the added cost for the 2 pc d/s is 2 cv joints, a central bearing, and additional support brackets. Although it does lose 1 u-joint in the design

I think it may have to do with trying to compensate for a possible change in the pinion angles with the new transmission. Does a 1 pc d/s work? Yes. Reading thru this forum, there are a lot of conversions out there and they all seem to be working fine.

Current time is 06:05 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Why a 2-pc drive line on a 5-speed? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems