View single post by vnavaret
 Posted: 08-15-2024 03:28 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
vnavaret

JH12947 wrote: I've attached a screenshot from one of my YouTube videos that shows the header. As you can see, the individual runners from 1 & 4 gather at a Y pipe, as do the runners for 2 & 3 - all fully welded. The outputs from these 2 Y pipes then travel down to another Y pipe that is again fully welded. The single outlet from there runs into the front muffler.

There is no removing of any Y pipes or separating the header into parts.

Looking at the photos of the unit on the Martin Robey site it looks like the upper sections are supposed to be welded as they are. The lower Y is not, but this section is below the car so shouldn't be an issue unless the header is supposed to be removed from above.

As others have mentioned, the OEM configuration was not welded together so that the header could be removed in two pieces.

The header design is called "Tri-Y" because the pipes are merged in a manner resembling the letter Y, and there are three such merges.

While a four into one design is very popular, it makes little sense for street driven cars as the power gains are at high RPMs. The Tri-Y design moves the gains into the RPM mid range, where the power is much more usable on the street. The four into one design is more popular because that is what the NASCAR racers use and every racer wanna-be wants what the pros use. Silly I know, but that is the truth.

Lotus did the right thing in designing that header for the JH.

Vance

Last edited on 08-15-2024 03:29 am by vnavaret