View single post by vnavaret
 Posted: 08-07-2024 05:16 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
vnavaret

Folks:

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. The journey continues as I slowly restore "Rusty" the car.

Lots of stuff to talk about since my last update. I have cleaned, repaired and painted the windscreen frame. In the photo I have reinstalled it, along with a new windscreen and repainted header pad. I broke the original windscreen during removal (grrr!) so had to get a new one from Martin Robey.

New side view mirrors are in, and the reconditioned heater box and scuttle plate are in as well. The fuel tank has been painted and installed, along with the fuel pump. No fuel plumbing yet, however.

In a fit of OCD, I have carpeted the trunk which turned out very nice, but is definitely gilding the Lilly. I also installed a power antenna for the planned Retro Sound radio. I got the radio on eBay, where the prices are much lower than outfits like Moss. I also put the third layer of truck bed liner on the underside of the new floor pans, so the rustproofing is done (?).

I have ordered the interior carpet, and new brake booster. The current booster is in horrible cosmetic shape, having leaked, shed its paint, and become badly corroded. I am not willing to trust my life to it, but was hesitating since a rebuild is $300, and new units are about $250 US. Moss Europe is currently having a 20% off sale for TR6 brake components, and it turns out that the JH and TR6 used the same brake booster. Even with the extortionate shipping, it is 25% less than any domestic supplier. Screaming deal.

I have not yet reassembled the doors, as I want to install new window seals first - and they are on order. As you can see in the photo, the wiring has been roughed in and I am in the process of installing the dash. The original mounting T-bolts had disappeared (the ones at the base of the windscreen) and are NLA. I could make some from sheet metal and screws, but discovered that elevator bolts are a nice replacement.

The engine is still untouched, being last on my list of tasks. That will be started sometime this coming winter.

Cheers,

Vance

Addendum: I said the boosters were identical in the above post. That is not quite true, at least for my car. The stock booster is 7" in diameter, the TR6 is 6". So it is slightly smaller. Others have used the TR6 booster and say it is very satisfactory. Caveat Emptor.

Attachment: IMG_0552[1].JPG (Downloaded 32 times)

Last edited on 08-07-2024 11:17 pm by vnavaret