View single post by vnavaret
 Posted: 06-24-2024 03:19 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
vnavaret

noomg wrote: Vance,

"For the sake of originality", you're not actually going to try to reactivate the seat belt interlock system are you? If so it'll require two muffin switches that fit in the seat bottoms.
Heavens, no. It is a PITA.

But I do want the wiring to be correct. I had the same system in my 1974 Triumph TR6, at least I think it was probably the same system. Disabling it was simply a matter of unplugging the wire harness from the seat switches. The default mode was to allow the car to start if no one was sitting in the seat. Disconnect the seat switch and voila! It was a regular car, and if for some unlikely reason someone wanted to enable the system, just plug the seat switch back into the harness.

The previous owner of the car hacked into the wiring harness, and cut a couple of wires, then ran his own wire from the ignition switch off to the starter solenoid.

I can get some used seat switches and yes, the originals are long gone. Before you say "Vance was an abused child, that is why he loves to suffer in this way" I must state for the record that I enjoy the challenge of getting things back to their original state - finding parts, documentation, etc is a challenge I enjoy. If I didn't like doing the research and looking in obscure places for parts, I would be driving a new MX-5 Miata instead of restoring a car that very few people have ever heard of, much less seen in the flesh.

Besides, driving an old car with minimal pollution controls is very pleasing, because I am figuratively sticking my thumb in the eye of that little twerp Greta Thornberg. =:-o

Vance

Last edited on 06-24-2024 03:24 pm by vnavaret